7 Facts On Why Corpus Christi Has the Best HawkWatch
- Starting in 1997, HawkWatch International started standardize counts at Hazel Bazemore Park, which is located west of Calallen.
- In its first year, there were over 841,000 migrating birds counted – the largest ever recorded in the US or Canada!
- The count exceeded 1,000,000 in 2004 - that’s more than twice the estimated metro population of Corpus Christi!
- The most abundant species are Broad-winged Hawks, accounting for well over 90% of the observed migration.
- The official HawkWatch International site operates from August 1 – November 15. Click here for the official page!
- Celebration of Flight Festival will be held September 25-26, 2016! Just make sure not to shout out numbers while the counters are counting.
- The Corpus Christi location has a large platform that was built specifically for hawk watching and is wheelchair accessible!