The Hottest Spots on Padre Island
Padre Island is an important part of the Corpus Christi landscape. For one, the 113-mile long island helps protect the Coastal Bay from major storms that rage through the Gulf of Mexico. Just as important, however, is Padre Island’s natural beauty. With miles and miles of coastline, there’s no limit to the wildlife and fun you’ll come across. Come to Padre Island, and you’ll never have a boring moment!
Best Ways to Reach Padre Island
Reaching Padre Island is easy. From Corpus Christi, hop on Route 358 East to the John F Kennedy Memorial Causeway. This leads to Park Rd 22, which runs deep into the Padre Island National Seashore.
From Mustang Island, head south on Route 361. This will take you straight into the heart of Padre Island.
There’s something for everyone on the Island. Some of our favorites:
- Bob Hall Pier. Nearly a quarter mile long, Bob Hall Pier is the perfect spot for photos and fishing. Don’t have a rod? You can rent one for $2, and then spend the day catching grouper and speckled trout.
- Balli Park. Balli Park features 400 acres of fun! Grab a surfboard and dominate the waves, or set up camp on the beach so you can wake up to a beautiful sunrise over the Gulf of Mexico.
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark & Resort. With an indoor park that’s open year-round and an outdoor park packed with thrills, Schlitterbahn is the best way to enjoy the water. Shoot down Lafitte’s Cyclone, or come face-to-face with tropical aquatic life on the Sea Trek. Schlitterbahn has a little bit of everything, and even features a resort so you’re never far from the action.
- Delicious eats. The northern tip of Padre Island is packed with restaurants along Park Rd 22, so make sure you stop at one of the local favorites!
- Natural attractions. Padre Island National Seashore features 70 miles of unbroken dunes and prairies, where you’ll find havens for turtles, 380 bird species and more seashells than you can carry! Of course, the beach is also a prime location for soaking up the sun or playing in the water, so bring your bathing suit!
A few of our favorite secrets:
- Doc’s Seafood & Steaks is the best place to enjoy the sunset over the Corpus Christi Bay.
- While a sighting is rare, the best time to spot a sea turtle on Padre Island is between April and mid-July.
- If you’ve never surfed before, try the Padre Island Surf Camp for professional-led lessons.